Hi :)
I found a few documents that had originally been .docs were really painful to work with until i
created a fresh new document and then used
Ctrl a
to select all in the old document and then "pasted as unformatted" in the new one and then apply
styles.  I think i 'had' to do the same thing somewhere between 3.3.x branch and the 3.4.x but only
for one or 2 weird documents.  That was around the time i first tried reading the "Getting Started
with LibreOffice" chapter on styles.
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/Publications
before reading that chapter i used to have to mess around with a lot of formatting and changing
styles and retying but since reading it everything seems to work much more smoothly and easily.  It
has saved me from hours of frustrations and fiddling.

Regards from
Tom :)