On 06/08/2013 02:44 PM, Johnny Rosenberg wrote:
2013/6/8 Jean-Francois Nifenecker <jean-francois.nifenecker@laposte.net>:
Le 08/06/2013 20:16, Doug a écrit :

What the heck is a mail merge? I use Thunderbird, i wouldn't have any idea
how to do any kind of mail in a word processor. And I don't know why I'd
ever want to.

Say you want to send an invitation by mail to your 10.000 friends. You
simply write the letter once with "holes" within. Then you merge (hence the
name) the letter and the missing data which is stored in a seperate
"database" (LibO uses the "datasource" term). As a result you get 10.000
different letters, from just one.

Of course, a private person might not use that feature frequently, but any
company which wants to advertise does this very often.

Especially if we talk about 10 000 friends. I don't even know ig I met
10 000 people all together in my whole life yet… I think I have like
10 friends…

Johnny Rosenberg

Thanx everybody. Now I know what mailmerge is. I don't think I would ever need it. If I send mail to more than 5 people at once it would be a lot.

--doug
--
Blessed are the peacemakers..for they shall be shot at from both sides. --A.M.Greeley