At 13:00 12/05/2013 -0600, Oogie McGuire wrote:
I'm having a baffling problem. I have several different spreadsheets set up in LibreOffice under Mac OS X 10.6.8. On one of them one of the columns is set to be a date in format MM/DD/YYYY. I want to copy the data from that column into another column in another spreadsheet document. I have selected that column and set the format of the cells to be the same date format MM/DD/YYYY.

In the first spreadsheet I select the cells containing the dates I want.
copy (command c)
move to the spreadsheet where I want to paste them
select the cells where they are to be pasted
paste (command v) and the data is entered as a date but they have all changed what was 05/08/2005 in one sheep has become 05/09/2001 in the second sheet!

I'm not sure exactly what is happening here, but I can make a few suggestions.

o The formatting of any copied cells can be carried over, changing the formatting that you have carefully set in the target cells. If you have already set the format of the target cells, you do not need this. To avoid it, use Edit | Paste Special... or right-click | Paste Special... or Ctrl+Shift+V (are those Shift+click and Command+Shift+V on the Mac?) instead of normal Paste. In the Paste Special dialogue, ensure that Paste All is not ticked, and then that Formats is not ticked.

o What looks like a date in the source cells may not be a date. Is it possible that your source values are actually text of some sort?

o Were the spreadsheets created in the same locale? Date formats and interpretations differ by locale, of course. Are possibly text values being reinterpreted according to a new, different locale?

Why is the paste changing my data and how do I fix it?

You might need someone to look at the documents themselves - or stripped down versions, showing just the problem.

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker