On 4/29/13 12:00 PM, Virgil Arrington wrote:
I'd like to get some general opinions about paragraph styles.

I am a retired lawyer who led a local government law office. When I was
working at that office, I tried in vain to get my employees to use paragraph
styles. For them, styles were a bother to set up and maintain. I love using
them, but then I'm as much a word processor junkie as I am an end-user.

Now, I teach a paralegal course in technology at my local university. I
recently spent three weeks teaching styles to my students and they have
resisted me all the way. My sense is that people just trying to get their
work done see paragraph styles as an nuisance, not appreciating the amount
of time they can save by investing a little at the beginning.

What about the rest of you. Do you use styles? Do you find that other
less-techy types avoid them?

It makes me wonder if there is a way to make them more accessible to people
less inclined to invest time in their technology as opposed to getting a
task done.

Hi, Virgil,

I've just read this entire thread start to finish.

If I'm correct, you're looking for a way to encourage/convince/cajole/ (name your poison here! LOL) to use styles and formatting.

No one has suggested an economic argument.    <grin>

Give them a hypothetical scenario of some kind, possibly like this...

Ask them if anyone is interested in doing some typing and/or document formatting on the side? Tell them they will be paid "by the piece", not "by the hour". They will be paid $25 per finished document.

Now ask them, would they be happy with doing 2 documents an hour and make $50? My guess is, most will say yes. Now propose this... "What if I showed you a way to do 4 documents an hour and make $100?"

I'll bet no one says no, and hopefully you've got them hooked.    :-)

--
Ken

Mac OS X 10.8.3
Firefox 20.0