If renaming it from .xsl to .html had it open correctly, I suspect it is not OOXML.  It *might* be
the Excel XML Spreadsheet format.

I checked here:
  <http://hpsws.lithium.com/t5/Project-Portfolio-Management/HP-PPM-and-Excel-Integration/td-p/2250>

Apparently exporting a report from PPM often produces HTML, even when Excel is specified.  It
appears that exporting as an XML file does provides something that Excel can read also.  I'm
guessing the reference to POI is Apache POI, Java libraries for manipulating/creating documents in
Microsoft Office formats.

 - Dennis

(Although file associations are used to determine what application to launch, the Microsoft Office
applications don't depend on the filename extension to determine what the format is.  That can
sometimes account for something opening correctly in Microsoft Office but not being recognizable
when opened in another application such as LibreOffice.)