On 03/02/2013 01:47 PM, Heinrich Stoellinger wrote:
On Sat, 02 Mar 2013 14:46:45 +0100, Dan Lewis <elderdanlewis@gmail.com> wrote:

On 03/02/2013 08:10 AM, Heinrich Stoellinger wrote:
Hello,
Seeing as the Native MySQL-connector seems to be a "difficult" birth -
I tried both ODBC and JDBC lately. Unfortunately both seem to be
unusable!
JDBC: I cannot get it to accept German special characters (even though I
specify codepage ISO-8859-15/EURO).
Also, when inserting you rows into the database, both with JDBC and ODBC,
string default values are shown with apostrophies at the beginning and
end.
If one then re-selects the row, the fields are shown correctly
(i.e. without the apostrophies). This might be kind of o.k. for me as I
have around 30 years of IT-experience behind me, but certainly NOT
o.k. for
the average uninitiated user...
ODBC: default values as specified within a table creation show kind of
"random"
values in columns of inserted tuples. When refreshing the display or
re-selecting
the tuplethe values are displayed correctly.
I yearn for the native connector but unfortunately really DON't have
the time
to build it myself...
Regards
Heinr
      What OS are you using? I have built a mysql-connector-ooo.oxt
(1.0.2) on Ubuntu 12.04. With it I have connected to a MySQL server 5.5
both locally and remotely. I did this using LO 4.0.0.3, LO 4.0.1.1, and
4.1.0.0+alpha (the build created with the connector. Today I plan to
install Mandriva to see whether it will work with it. It is alpha until
sufficient testing is done.

--Dan

Hi Dan,
I use LO 4.0.0.3 on Debian-Wheezy. On this system the Native Connector
works just fine (locally with MySQL 5.5 and remotely with MySQL 5.1 (Debian
Squeeze))! I also just installed LO 4.0.1.2 on Mint Nadia. The connector
does NOT work on that system. If you could let me have the one you built
for LO 4.0.1.1 on  Ubuntu 12.04 I would be much obliged to you.
I might try to build one myself if I find the time. Could you provide some
hints on how to go about that?
Thanks a lot
H. S.
Here is the mysql connector that I built. This afternoon I installed Ubuntu 12.10 and LO 4.0.1.2. It worked on this OS as well. Remember that my computer is 32 bit, and this connector only works with 32 bit OS's. (You probably already know this.) Hope this is what you need. I do not know why the native connector will work with LO 4.0.0.3 unless that is a 64 bit OS. My tower also uses Ubuntu 12.04 64 bit. The 64 bit native connector works well with both the 3.x and 4.x versions of LO. It is the 32 bit connector that has been the problem. I need to take some time thinking through what I did and writing it down. I know that there are several steps with some of them seemingly repetive. The last step (make dev-install) takes about 4-6 hours to run. So, I will have to get back to you on this sometime closer to the end of next week.

--Dan