       Ok, I've placed rsync on my todo list ... will 'search' and learn
more re. this aspect of these 'glorified typewriters'.

       Thank you to both you helpful souls!

On Wed, Dec 5, 2012 at 3:14 AM, Tom Davies <tomdavies04@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

Hi :)
grsync has a nice pretty gui front-end but uses
rsync
to do the work, of course.  Rsync works from the command-line and has more
options but GRsync is easier for point&click users like me.

One advantage is that it keeps permissions intact whereas copy&paste or
drag&drop tend to twist things so that the current user can read/write.
Not something you want with system files.

I was just making the point that LO's User Profile is happy to let the
user mess around with it quite a lot.  Evolution's gets really grumbly
about it and you soemtimes have to export your stuff from inside the
program, then upgrade, then open the new versions and import.  VERY
different from the friendliness of LO's user profile.

Btw thanks for the warning about hard-drive noises.  My new machine at
work has started making occasional noises but it's so intermittent i was
ignoring them.  Good idea to back-up now right!?!  I used to know someone
that would always leave it until it made horrible grinding noises but then
he kept losing data.  I'm really glad i am not living in a hot, sandy,
windy desert anymore!

Regards from
Tom :)