On 10/15/2012 11:45 AM, Tim Deaton wrote:
I haven't tried StarBasic, but in the past did use VBA for
Applications in Excel and Access.  Personally, because of the danger
of malicious mischief, I think having something  that can only do
things within your own product would be a VERY good thing.  If I
understood Andreas correctly, that's the way StarBasic works. So I'd
say fix the bugs and don't change its mission.

Then, if you need something that interacts with other things outside
of LO, use another tool designed for that, and make sure LO safeguards
adequately protect against the possibility of mischief.

-- Tim

The problem with any macro is the possibility of it accessing parts of
the OS that could allow for someone to inject malware into the system.
This issue is actually independent of the macro language. I remember
several VBA macro malware from about 2000 being a major problem; partly
because of MS Office at the time default of executing any macro in a
file and the relative newness of the Internet and email to most users.

How LO and MSO currently protect is to not allowing
unverified/unvalidated/uncertified macros from running by default.