On 10/15/2012 12:00 PM, Dr. R. O Stapf wrote:

On 15.10.2012 23:46, Jean-Baptiste Faure wrote:
Le 15/10/2012 16:30, Dr. R. O Stapf a écrit :
[...]

However, my question was how to open an LO file if the PW get
forgotten (not and MS file)?
Hints are welcome for the future.
Buy a super-computer, launch a brute force algorithm and pray that the
password is a short word from the standard English vocabulary.

Best regards.
JBF

Thanks to JBF and Andreas for their hints. As I have a little program which makes brute force approach I will run a test to see if this is possible with PW protected LO files.

For future reference, if you have to create a password protected document [for viewing or editing] make sure you use one that will not be forgotten or WRITE IT DOWN somewhere and save it in your filing cabinet.

At one computer center I worked, they taped the needed passwords on the back of the keyboard. You needed a door key to get into the place, so the passwords were protected, but that way all the personnel will be able to access the needed systems and not forget the needed passwords.

I use a list of about a dozen passwords. So if I forget which one I used, I just go down the "mental" list till I get the one I used for that application or document.