[From the great minds think alike department]

Microsoft SkyDrive accepts and presents, via the Office Web Applications, ODF documents.  (These
applications support a nice variety of features but not all features of the full Microsoft Office
applications are supported, and there are warnings about those if noticed in an uploaded document
that is opened for editing via browser.)

In presenting an ODF document, it is opened read only, with an indication that has been done.

If the Edit button is depressed, SkyDrive makes a *copy* of the document and opens that for
editing.  The original, uploaded ODF document is not touched.  There is a warning that some
features of the document may not be preserved.  (The editing is being done in Word, and features
that are not imported into Word will be lost.  Also, use of Word features that don't export will be
lost too.)

That strikes me as a nicely cautious way to handle formats that are not the "natively-supported"
format of an application.

 - Dennis