On 23/09/2012 at 20:13, AndrewB <andrew@hippofarms.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

Having done so, and re-zipped the results, LibreOffice tells me the file is
corrupt - if we assume my edits were valid do you happen to know whether I
have to do anything specific when re-zipping the edited files?

As far as I remember, there were (in XP times) some problems with UTF-8
encoding in Windows Notepad. I don't know if they are resolved in newer
version or if they are even relevant, since you did not post information about
editor used.

Either way, I would suggest using Notepad++ on Windows. You can download it
for free from their website:
<http://notepad-plus-plus.org/>

I would also suggest two experiments:
1. unzip ODT and zip it again. Then we will know if your zip-software is cause
here.
2. unzip ODT, do simple change (remove or add word here or there), zip again.
If it will work, then it might be that you have made some mistake last time.
--
Best regards
Mirosław Zalewski