I am using LO 3.5.6 on Windows 7 and also recently on Ubuntu 12.04

I have been eagerly migrating all my usage from Microsoft Office to LO, and
I would appreciate some advice on converting from Access.

I have one project which consists of a fairly modest flat file (896 records
of 33 fields), but I have a number of well established queries that I use
with it and once a year I link the data to an imported direct debit
accounts table and export a CSV file which I convert to XML (using a python
script) for sending to the direct debit company. So SQL access to the data
is vital. The data is stored in Dropbox so it can be accessed from Windows
or Ubuntu easily - but never simultaneously. I do have access to a MySQL
server as part of my web hosting but I would rather not bother with setting
one up locally for just this application.

My original approach was to just use embedded HSQL, but I have got the
message that this is a BAD IDEA, although it does work well with storing
the data in Dropbox.

I tried storing the data as an ods file (in Dropbox) and attaching my Base
file to that, but the SQL functionality is too restricted.

So, where should I store the data? Can I use SQLite to store the data in
Dropbox? Or should I bite the bullet and store it in the SQL server
where I wouldn't be able to get at it without Internet access? (Dropbox of
course keeps local copies which it synchronises). Or is this one use use
where embedded HSQL really is the right answer??

All views appreciated!