On 08/10/2012 09:57 AM, James Knott wrote:
webmaster-Kracked_P_P wrote:
I remember the B.B.S. systems. My first email address was about 80 character long and it was via a B.B.S. network. Now we cannot live without its descendant, the Internet. Can you imagine your life without the Internet?

Actually, the Internet predates BBSs, going back to it's roots in the late '60s. While I used those, my first email address was on a VAX 11/780 system.

The Internet was not the Internet back then. I believe it was ARPANET or something like that. I do remember that much in my computer classes. College and businesses had the ability to connect to the "mainframe" interconnection system that sprang out of the Dept. of Defense, but it was a long time before a home user could use their modems to connect to that type of system.

It took a lot of work in the late 80's to get it to become a browser based World Wide Web, instead of a text based system. Then it became the Internet we all know of today. I remember the pre-PC days and did not like it. Then when the first local BBS system was online, having 10 Meg of a hard drive, people could not imagine how it would ever be filled. Later, I was working on a project for making a BBS style of system for the housing market for a local company, based upon a free software template. A few years later, the Internet came to the common home users via their dialup systems. That is when I got my second phone line and started working on a tourism web site. Had to use a text editor to hand code everything, since WYSIWYG editors cost too much.

I do not want to think would my life would be like without my Internet connection. I made a partial living in the 90's from it. The FOSS movement would not exist without the Net being as it is today.