On 08/09/2012 08:59 PM, anne-ology wrote:
        Anthony you grew up in a world that many folks still have not
entered - some of us started using computers as a convenient type-writer,
some of us started communicating over the BBs with others, with the hope
that we could learn from those who were inventing these electronic gadgets,
... less than a decade before you were born, some folks were still saying
this industry was a passing fad, following the thinking of those at IBM and
Xerox that they had the latest for many years to come ... then things
started to change with each passing day; computers were no longer those
huge machines filling some large room and spilling out stacks of cards, ...
[have you seen the movie Bridget - it will open your eyes to how things
were before the computer age and has a great scene showing what's supposed
to be a computer filling a room with umpteen flashing lights.]
How about paper tape readers and punch cards in the days of IBM and 7 dwarfs, Fortran, Cobol, and Basic.