On 08/10/2012 07:45 AM, James Knott wrote:
Steve Edmonds wrote:
I also used to work with punch card equipment.
And a breakthrough was marksense cards that freed you from the punch terminal.

We used those in my Gr. 12 Fortran class. I also worked on equipment that could read them. As I recall, we spent most of our class time marking up those cards.

I started out with punched cards and teletype terminals. I though it was Heaven to go to a CRT terminal a few years later. I bought my first PC-DOS type of computer in kit form. I remember our local college offering courses in how to use Windows, when it came out. I went from using a computer bigger than my apartment to one that is the size of a thin book. I was a mainframe programmer in my early working days. Then learned PC networking when that was becoming popular.

In the Star Trek Next Generation, they had tablet technology. Now we have it. There was a prediction back in the 1950's that there was not going to be an need for more than 20 to 50 computers in the USA in the "future". They just did not get what would become that old clunky monster. Now it is something no kid can live without to do their school work, let alone its ability to entertain us. I remember the B.B.S. systems. My first email address was about 80 character long and it was via a B.B.S. network. Now we cannot live without its descendant, the Internet. Can you imagine your life without the Internet?

Young people today do not know what we had to go through without all of the computer-based items that they grew up with. They would be lost without those devices. How many kids in the near future will never have picked up a printed book, with the trend of eBooks on classroom laptop costing school less than buying new printed book every few years. Curling up with a nice tablet, instead of a nice book, does not appeal to me.

Yet, I am currently taking on the task of converting a batch of .ePub and .Mobi books to a A6 size PDf file for use with a tablet where the Kindle reader software will not read from the external microSD card. Calibre to convert .epub to .txt, then LO to create the A6 page size PDF file with a footer for page number and "book" title. Then they will be read on a $100 USD Android tablet that will read PDF files via Kindle off that external card via the file manager.