2012/7/22 webmaster-Kracked_P_P <webmaster@krackedpress.com>:

I try to keep the same set of "core fonts" - not just MS core web fonts - on
all of my computers whether they are Windows or Ubuntu systems.  I tend to
have over 100 fonts installed on these systems for greater flexability on
the look of my documents printer/exported to PDF for distribution.  LO's
Export to PDF, CUPS PDF printing for Linux, or doPDF PDF printing for
Windows.

The font installer, and other fonts software, is a good place to look at
specialty fonts that might be used for your documents.  I used to use some
really "special" ones from time to time, like letters made out of bone or
other holiday related fonts.

The core fonts that come with most MS systems, or the MS core font package
for Linux, is just a start.  You really need to look at all of your options
for typography of your documents.  Then using a PDF creation method, that
embeds those fonts into your document, will make sure that your
readers/users of those documents will see your work the way you want it to
be seen.  LO does a good job with some of the popular fonts, but not as good
on the decorative ones I tend to use.  That is where CUPS PDF and doPDF "PDF
printer software" comes into play.  They will embed all of your specialty
fonts into your documentation.  One day LO's Export to PDF will do that job
as good as they do.

As someone who download over 100,000 fonts from free font sites, I can tell
you that there are many great looking fonts out there for your text and
"special" documents that can be better than the MS core fonts.  All you have
to do is take the time to look, download, and test some of them side to side
with the MS core fonts.

One big problem, for people like me whose native language is not
English, is that many of those thousands of free fonts miss all
language specific characters, in my case åäöÅÄÖ, characters that are
just as common in my language as most of the other characters in my
alphabet (those characters are real letters and they are not to be
treated as aAoO with some additional stuff above them – they are even
sorted as individual characters, that is not among aA and oO, but
right after zZ). I didn't investigate this very thoroughly, so I don't
know exactly how many of those millions of free fonts that lacks
essential characters for many of the top hundred common languages (my
language reached 77th place in 2009, according to this lisst:
http://frankherles.wordpress.com/2009/06/28/the-100-most-spoken-languages-on-the-world/)…

But as long as I write in English, this is of course not a problem,
but I almost never do that when I don't write in mailing lists like
this one…

Kind regards

Johnny Rosenberg
ジョニー・ローゼンバーグ