Hi :)
Hmmm, pen&ink or pencil is a good option for printed guides.  I thought that was what margins were
for?

Unfortunately it's not so easy to share or copy&paste from whereas a wiki is easy to disseminate.
Since it does headings and the Table of Contents and makes the ToC clickable automatically it's not
hugely difficult for readers either.

Wiki's are a quick way to get a good result even if it's garbage-in.  Quite often people that are
new to wiki-editing find other people tidy-up their edits if they have only just plonked down
unformatted content.  (or made a right pigs-ear of it).  As you play around with it and find odd
hints&tips your formatting gets better but that doesn't necessarily improve your contents so you
start hunting around for other newer people's content to help their's look nicer.  So it kinda
depends on new people joining in all the time or on people having more Areas of Knowledge than they
can write-up quickly.

Regards from
Tom :)