On 6/28/12 11:42 PM, Andreas Säger wrote:
Hi,

Like any other programming language Calc can nest functions as far as
the data types of the incoming parameters match the data types of the
nested function results. The details are mostly the same as with any
other spreadsheet program of the past 30 years with the only exception
that there is no boolean data type. TRUE equals 1, FALSE equals 0
without any conversion.

A Calc cell can have a number, text, blank and error. All constants are
number or text, a formula may return number, text or error.

=FUNCTION(number ; text ; range ; vector )

*should* be nested like this:

=FUNCTION( function_number(x) ; function_text(x) ; function_range(x) ; function_vector(x) )

[a vector is a range made of a single row or column. Sometimes this
shape is required]

The function wizard can be of great help when composing nested functions.

Personally, I avoid deeply nested function calls. They are much harder
to maintain and debug.

http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/How_Tos/Calc:_Functions_listed_by_category
Apart from the functions of category "Text" all spreadsheet functions
return numbers.
Functions of category "Spreadsheet" return references to other cells.

I *think* I follow most of that.   LOL

I did finally get the cells to do what I wanted, I think as I've not tested fully yet. But, the documentation or the Function Wizard wasn't much help, as there are no examples of actually what the input should look like. Even got an error code that's not in the documentation. And even with the text for the error code, nothing explains what the text for the error code means.

I just kept trying different things until it worked!    LOL