Am 30.06.2012 14:09, Ken Springer wrote:
After reading your other new replies, I'm wondering if the way I wrote
my posts led you to some wrong conclusions.  Possibly, it came out
sounding more complicated than the problem really was, as I did get it
solved.

It wasn't the logic or the functions that needed to be used that was my
problem, that was easy.   :-)

It was the actual formatting of the functions in the cell that was the
problem.  Do I need parens here?  Should there be a space and capitals?
  How are the functions I need supposed to be entered, as a group, into
the cell?  Should these two functions be grouped in parens?

Each and every function call is followed by a pair of parens.
=NOW without parens returns the value of a cell named "NOW" (it is possible to give names to cells).

Function with no parameter:
=NOW() returns the current time as number
_Try_out_: =NOW(13) --> Err:508 13 is pointless when you want to know the time.

Function with exactly one parameter:
=UPPER(A1) returns the text in A1 in upper case letters.
Only functions of category "Text" return text.
_Try_out_:  =UPPER(A1,13,A2) --> Err:508
        =UPPER() --> Err:510

Function with 2 parameters plus one optional parameter:
=MATCH(A1,$X$1:$X$99) looks up A1 in ascending scale X1:X99 returning the position number.
=MATCH(A1,$X$1:$X$99,0) looks up exact match of A1 in X1:X99
=MATCH(A1,$X$1:$X$99,1) same as first variant
_Try_out_: =MATCH()
=MATCH(A1)
=MATCH(A1;$X$1:$Z$99) --> Err:504
=MATCH(A1,$X$1:$X$99,3,4)

Function with at least one parameter and up to 30:
=SUM(A1:A99) --> sum of all numbers in vertical vector A1:A99 (one parameter, up to 99 values)
=SUM(13) --> 13 (obsolete sum of 1 value)
=SUM(A1:A99,B3:F3,X1:Z13,12) sum of all numbers in a vertical vector, a horizontal vector, a 2-dimensional range plus number 12 (4 parameters)
_Try_out_: =SUM()
=SUM("123",13)
=SUM(1,2,3,4)

You may add more parens according to common rules (1+2)*13=39 vs. 1+2*13=27