On 6/7/2012 2:07 PM, Steve Edmonds wrote:
Hi.
I might be doing something similar tracking expenditure but can't really visualise your layout. I have a column that would be the completion date of each task, that in your case would be the end date of the previous task + task duration + slippage of the current task. I include an IF statement so that if I enter an actual completion date in a column that is used in place of the date calculated for that previous task and the new anticipated project completion date is shown at the end. You can hide the column calculating each completion date from the previous so it does not clutter your sheet.

With an example I could help you a bit more.

okay, here's an example:

Task list : task completion time : slippage time : estimated date of completion
start : 0                        : 0             : Jun 07, 2012

first task: 5                    : 0             : Jun 12, 2012

second task: 3                   : 2             : Jun 17, 2012

the column "estimated date of completion" is calculated except for the first cell. The first cell is the given date, the start of the project. The completion date for the first and second tasks are calculation based off of the preceding date in the column. For example, first task takes the task completion time (five days) and adds it to the start tasks date of completion. Second task sums up its task completion time and slippage time (5) and add the sum to the estimated date of completion for first task yielding the estimated date of completion for the second task.

Make sense? If so here's the next stage

I want to be able to add tasks in between other tasks and not have to touch any of the internal calculation structure.

Hope that's enough of an example.