Corruption could indeed be triggered by there being an inconsistency between META-INF/manifest.xml
and what is present in the package.

It is interesting if that is a complaint about Configurations/.../current.xml (usually a
zero-length useless component), which is private information from the producer that is not defined
by ODF and can't be meaningfully used by any software other than the producer.  For the most part,
that material appears to be gratuitous and unnecessary.

The missing Thumbnails/thumbnail.png is also benign.

Working from memory in order to reply quickly, I believe that there *IS* an ODF requirement for
every stream in the package (a Zip) to be accounted for in META-INF/manifest.xml except the
manifest itself, mimetype, and anything else in META-INF/ (except if it is meant to be
encryptable).  I suspect the specifications are silent concerning META-INF/manifest.xml entries
that have no corresponding stream in the Zip.  I need to confirm the facts.

 - Dennis

THINKING OUT LOUD:

I would not be surprised if this tightening of consistency with the manifest is for purposes of
improved detection of tampering and the possible incidence of a security exploit of one kind or
another.  There is a practice in security cases to avoid providing details since it provides too
much information for someone attempting to craft an exploit.  That's a stretch in this case.

It would be useful to soften the message to one of "There are inconsistencies and it is possible
the document is corrupted."  The request for permission to attempt correction by eliminating the
inconsistencies should be quite clear.  It would also be valuable to report whether there was any
apparent data loss or that repair did not involve loss of anything critical to the document.
Encouraging a save-as of the repaired document to a different location would also be handy in
restoring the confidence of the user in the successful effort.

MORE THINKING OUT LOUD:

PS: If the original document was digitally signed, repair will lose the signature of course, but
there should have been difficulties with verification of the presumed original too. If the original
document was encrypted ("Saved with Password"), how that fails is very dicey.

PPS: It is cumbersome to put too much into the analysis and repair as part of the mainstream
operation of a product such as LibreOffice where performance is an important feature.  A separate
analysis and repair utility might be more valuable (and LO could launch it, of course) for
providing smoother handling and forensic analysis when the product software detects an
inconsistency.