Eric Brunel wrote:
On 4 juin 12, at 14:58, Dan Lewis wrote:
I did some testing on the document you created. First I downloaded the file, created a copy, and renamed the copy from .odt to .zip (doctext.zip). Then I opened the downloaded file with LO allowing it to repair the file. Then I saved it (doctext(repaired).odt, created a copy of it, and renamed it from .odt to .zip. I also opened the two zipped files next to each other.
    My findings:

doctext.zip doctext(repaired).zip Configurations2 0 bytes META-INF 2.0kB 1.2 kB Pictures 767 bytes 767 bytes Thumbnails 2.3 kB content.xml 5.0 kB 4.8 kB manifest.rdf 899 bytes meta.xml 1.1 kB 1.1 kB mimetype 39 bytes 39 bytes settings.xml 6.8 kB 9.0 kB styles.xml 14.3 kB 15.0 kB

I will let others draw their own conclusions as to what this means.

This is exactly what I've been doing to try to create a correct document myself. The problem is, I'm not really sure what parts of the document I should change to prevent it from being reported as corrupt. Some information in these files do not look important at all, or not related to the actual contents of the document. It seems that there is some internal consistency problem between the files, but since LO doesn't say anything else than 'the document is corrupt', it's very hard to figure out what's happening here.

Then again, I have some questions and comments. Why are you creating a document by only changing the content.xml file? From the above information, clearly other files needed to be changed as well. And as Andreas pointed out, LO will report the error regardless of the OS used on a computer.

Yes, we've been working on the matter a bit further and figured out that too: it seems the latest versions of all OOo-based software we could test on any platform do report the document as corrupt. So I was hoping to figure out what had changed between the versions that open it without problem and the current ones to know what to do to generate it correctly.

Will creating a template with the layout you want work just as well or better? It can be used to open a new document. Then you can enter or copy material into the new document. When you save this, LO will update all the files and folders within the ODT file.

Well, the problem is, as I said in my original post, the document is generated, not created by hand. We have a description of the document contents in an external source, and we are using an existing ODF document only to get the styles from it. So it did seem to be enough to get all the files from the existing ODF document, replace the contents.xml in it by the one we generate, and zip back everything to a new ODF file. And it used to work, but it doesn't anymore… But basically, we would like to be able to generate the document without running LO at all. With the method we're using, it doesn't even need to be installed, and that's even better…

And by the way, if we open the existing ODF file (not the generated one), everything works fine. LO doesn't say it's corrupt and opens it without any problem.

Thanks a lot anyway to you and Andreas for your answers.
I need you to clear a point up for me. You did not say what format the generated document is in. This might make a difference. Also how did you generate the contents.xml file? Perhaps these have a similar answer.

--Dan