On 06/03/2012 05:29 AM, Miros?aw Zalewski wrote:
On 03/06/2012 at 01:58, Jay Lozier <jslozier@gmail.com> wrote:

The real problem is that ODF 1.2 is not supported by MS and I am not
sure if MSO XP supports any ODF formats.
But Andreas is not talking about DOC vs ODF. He is talking about DOC vs DOCX.
I agree with him - DOC was around earlier, it has pretty good (but not
perfect) support in LibreOffice. MS Office 2007 and 2010 are capable of reading
and writing old binary DOC format.

When interoperability with MS Office users is concerned, then DOC is the best
option you can choose.
My choice of MS formats is done for*political* reasons not technical.
Some people I interact with need to feel comfortable that I can read a
MSOX format file and the best way to convey this is to send them MSOX
format files. Thus they do not need to worry if I can open a file they
send me and most do not know that the file was created on a Linux box
using LO unless I tell them. I assume many of the other users are not
technically skilled enough to use Save As and will only use the default
format of their version of MSO. If I have no idea what a person uses
other than a version Windows I use the older formats as a precaution. My
guerrilla campaign is not use Windows and thus MSO at all and to use
Linux/LO and show others over time that they do not need to depend on MS
for many if not all of their computing needs.

Note I do not use any MSO/MSOX formats for document creation or editing,
I always use ODF formats and do a final Save As to convert the format.

A side note many Windows users are surprised when I tell them I can not
use IE on Linux, they assume everyone can use IE. Needless to say, these
users are probably completely unaware there are other office suites
available (FOSS or commercial).

--
Jay Lozier
jslozier@gmail.com