On 6/2/2012 8:37 AM, Andreas Säger wrote:
Am 02.06.2012 16:46, webmaster-Kracked_P_P wrote:

There seems to be differenting opinions on how business ready 3.5.3 was

So now that LO 3.5.4 is out,

I ask the users, is it ready to be deployed to my/our business users?

We really need to know.

The last "official" word on the 3.5.x line was that business users would
research the package before downloading and installing it.

Well, I do not know how they will to all that research, or where they
will get the documentation for it, before downloading it.

So I am asking LO users the question.
Is 3.5.4 ready for our business and/or enterprise users?

The doc people are work hard to get more 3.5.x line documentation out,
but to be honest about it people can still use 3.3.x and 3.4.x docs till
3.5.x comes out.

What is the problem with 3.5? What are your conclusions when a user like me or Tom states that everything is fine with 3.5? I am a completely untypical user who skipped the whole 3.4 series after writing a bunch of bug reports. Tom has an entirely non-technical view on the project. The overall service quality of this particular user list is really bad.

The bug tracker can tell all unresolved issues that do exist in 3.5 but not in 3.4? Don't ask me how. I file my bugs to the AOO tracker where it serves both projects.

      What does it need to do to be "business ready"?

I don't know, but I suspect that Google probably uses it. I heard over a year ago that Google employees were forbidden to use MS Windows: The primary alternatives were Mac OS and Linux. I was also told that Google paid people full time to do nothing but contribute to open source projects. I suspect they probably have the same attitude today towards MS Office as toward the operating system.

I've used LibreOffice or Open Office for over 3 years now as a 100% replacement for MS Office. I was motivated by two things: (a) I had lost my job and resolved to pay for software only if I could not find a comparable, Free Open-Source Software (FOSS) alternative. (b) I saw no need to pay Microsoft for forcing me to learn where they hid all the controls on their new version. Since then, I've had some compatibility problems with LO import and export of MS Word documents, and I still cannot control LO Impress as good as I could MS PowerPoint. On the other hand, I've started using the LO "Synchronize Labels" feature, and I never used a comparable feature in MS Word; it may be there, but I never used it.

      Spencer Graves
p.s. I'm the President of a start-up. We have not hired anyone new but if and when we do, I plan to ask them to try LO before I pay for MS Office. My Chief Engineer still has MS Office and has not seen a need to try LO -- and the incompatibility problems have not been sufficient for me to push him to use LO. I'm not sure, but I think my Chief Financial Officer uses LO.