Am 17.05.2012 15:48, Pertti Rönnberg wrote:
Dear LibreO folks out there,
In two of his mails Andreas Säger says
 >> "In any case it -- (Java 1.7) -- has to be 32 bit because under
Windows the office (LibreOffice) is a 32 bit application. "
 >> "The 32/64 Java bits have to match with the LibreOffice bits which
means 32 bit on all Windows platforms."

At least in Finland since a year back almost all PCs and laptops are
Windows7-64bit; I purchased a laptop Win7Premium-64bit last November.
It is a little astonishing and worrying to read that LibreO is a 32-bit
application under any Windows-OS but I have seen no info about LibreO
being only 32-bits - not 64 bits nor 32/64 bits.
I have been told that a 64-bit machine needs 64-bits software.

This software is open source. This means that *anybody* can download the source code and compile it for whatever platform. So far nobody built a 64 bit version for the Windows operating system. I don't know anything about the particular reasons but I would speculate as follows:
- Windows compilers are unfree.
- Windows programs of this size are extremely difficult to compile.
- Windows 64 would increase the maintainance effort, adding another variant with lots of platform specific code. - There are no technical reasons to struggle with all this as long as Windows runs 32 bit programs like any other platform does.

In the end it's all about economy, isn't it?