Am 10.05.2012 23:38, The Wolfkin wrote:
I'm confused because as far as I can tell in this thread you're the first
person to even mention xlsx or xls. I don't think I mentioned that file
format in the other thread.

In your other topic you mentioned that you save in foreign file formats by default. Anyone can save a new spreadsheet with frozen panes as xlsx, reopen and see that frozen panes in xlsx give "interesting" visual effects when loaded into any version of LibreOffice or OpenOffice. These file formats are not free. Despite their "XML openess" they are designed to be as difficult (incompatible) as can be. OOXML has been designed to fight the ODF standard and to increase the level of incompatibility to other office applications. You must not use OOXML with this software. If the latest MS document format is important for your work, simply get a cheap version of Excel in order to get rid of all the trouble (frozen panes belong to the least important group of problems).