Hi :)
Brilliant!  Thanks Larry!  Apparently Oracle have started working on Java 7_4 already and Java 7_3
still hasn't been released.

The 6_29 on Mac was widely reported as helping a nearly 1% of Macs world-wide to get infected or
compromised with some sort of malware.  That doesn't mean that later versions are safer, just that
problems haven't been widely reported yet.  Windows users are familiar with dealing with infections
and antivirus companies tend to claim that around 20% of Windows machines are infected at any 1
time and there are thousands of viruses and trojans and such adding up to hundreds of thousands of
threats.  Mac has 1 or 2 every few years and each time that gets blown-up out of all proportion by
the press that wouldn't bother to report similar incidents on Windows.

For Windows and Gnu&Linux it's fairly easy to install a JRE (Java Run-time Environment) 7 even
though they haven't been officially released yet.  I don't know if it's easy to get the 7_4 yet but
the 7_3 is fairly easy to get from Java.com.  Not so easy for Macs tho!  This is about all i got
from a google search
http://www.vineetmanohar.com/2011/03/installing-java-7-on-mac-os-x/
NOT trivial!

Mostly LibreOffice doesn't need java at all so you can switch it off
Tools - Options - Java
just untick the box at the top.  It's only needed for some Extensions/Add-ons, Wizards, Base (if
you use the embedded back-end or HSqlDb as an external back-end instead of something like Sqllite).

Generally if you can switch it off and then see if LO grumbles about not having it then you are
very unlikely to lose any data.  If it grumbles then you can just switch java on again, or
reinstall it and then switch it on again.

Personally i think the whole scaremongering thing is being hyped up waaay out of proportion.
Almost like a film just before it gets released.  has a major antivirus company recently released a
new product for Mac?  Is one about to be released in the next couple of months?
Regards from
Tom :)