Le 20/04/12 22:07, Elizabeth Lawrence a écrit :

Hi again Elizabeth,

I'm using Mac OS X 10.5.8.  I am trying to start a new database and

OK, I have Mac OSX 10.6.8, Snow Leopard. For me, the basic LibreOffice
Base functionality works (within the confines of known issues, bugs, etc).

Can you open a Terminal (in your Utilities folder of the Applications
folder) and type in :

java -version

press enter

and then post the output in your response. That would tell us which
version of Java you have installed in your system. It might be important.

trying to click on use Wizard to create table.  It doesn't click
properly and the suggestion of creating a table using the Wizard
vanishes.   I have to confess I haven't used Libreoffice before, but my
Boss suggested it for a database and showed me how to start off.  I have
used a database before but I really can't get on with this at the

Here's a step by step test you can do :
1) Start LibreOffice

2)(a) Choose File > New > Database from the dropdown File menu,

OR

2)(b) from the Start Center, click on the Database icon

3) The Database creation wizard should appear.
4) Choose Create a Database.
5) Click on Next.

6) The following screen allows you to choose what you want to do after
the new database has been saved, leave the default settings for the time
being - what happens here is that an "empty" (it does in fact contain
certain configuration data, but that is hidden from the user) ODB
database container file is created which contains no tables

7) Accept the default settings as mentioned in point 6 and click on Finish.

8) The wizard now asks you for a name to be given to the database file
you are about to register and a location on the hard disk at which to
save it.

9) Enter a name and then press Save.

10) The main window of your newly saved database file should now appear.
By default, it should contain 4 icons in a column to the left of the
window, the first icon is named "Tables". These icons are clickable and
give you access to the various main functions of the database
application in relation to your database file.

11) Since Tables should be selected by default, in the split window that
occupies most of the space, you should have an empty space in the lower
pane, and three entries in the upper pane. The three entries are as
follows :

Create Table in Design View...
Use Wizard to Create Table...
Create View...

12) Click on "Create Table in Design View..."

Let us know what happens next.

Alex