Erm, dear Thomas:  I'll defend neither MonopolyHard Office or MegaSuck
Inc.

Saying that, his QA theories I find off-base re MS Service Packs,
wrong-headed and incorrect re FOSS, and off-topic re the question.

Bully for his avoidance of computer-illiterates.  They pay my bills.
Servicing N computers makes what seems easy at a solo desk not so much.

So then, editorially speaking, it's not a bug, it's a feature, or
pointlessness.

To sysadmin well, I need facts, not editorials.  What exactly triggers
an update alert in Libre?  If "major release," then what constitutes
that?  What version number depth, M.x.x.x, x.M.x.x, ...?

Helpful ideas:  A pref for sysadmins to config the release level for the
menu item.  Resulting u/g dialog can say whether it needs a full
reinstall and link to the release notes web page.  Then users and admins
can read what it offers and decide.  Choice is good and these levers
mean very little marginal work.

(Tom:  if the urge to help overwhelms, ignore this thread, go find the
answer to my post on mass imports.  No one has replied.  That puzzle was
the reason I joined this list.  I'm not here to banter; I did think I
had found a bug!)

                          or over the web