I prefer to always use TDF's version of LO. Of course my version of Linux is Ubuntu 10.04 LTS, so the repository tends to not get the most up-to-date version of the packages I use.

I also am using 3.4.6 now. I am waiting for some issues to be resolved in the 3.5.x line that are show-stoppers for me.

I ALWAYS have a working user profile in backup, for when my profile get corrupted by something. That tends to happen about every 6 months or so.

As for Distros, well I like the GNOME desktop used by Ubuntu 10.xx. I have tried 11.xx "classic GNOME" options but I cannot get the panels on both the top and bottom of the desktop, like I really want/need them to be used for. Maybe when 12.04 LTS gets going, it would have what I need. I do not like the "tablet style" of desktop environments that seem to the the distros are going. I have had to have GNOME as my default desktop with KDE installed so I can use many of its system tools that work better for me than GNOME's version. So I use a combination of GNOME and KDE packages. Until I can get a "modern" distro to give me enough of what I need, I cannot switch. Actually, I use a dual boot laptop to test out Ubuntu's newest version to see if I can get it to do what I want/need.