This is probably not a good place to discuss the copyright status of an existing work.

 It seems to me that the only matters to address here are the technical question concerning how to
get chapters starting with the text pages lined up as the OP wants.  I am surprised that it
requires a Master Document to accomplish, though.

 - Dennis

MORE THAN YOU MIGHT CARE TO KNOW:

"The Wonderful Wizard of Oz" was copyright in 1899 by L. Frank Baum and W. W. Denslow (the
illustrator).  It was published in 1900.  The original is no longer under US copyright (that is, it
has entered the public domain). You can still purchase the book.  I did that recently, in fact.  I
first downloaded a free Kindle version, but it didn't have the illustrations.

There are versions of the book that have content still in copyright.  This includes versions that
have newer illustrations and also books that have added content about the history of the book, etc.

For example, the book I purchased recently has the an Afterword that is copyright 1987.  While that
notice at the front of the book is accompanied by boilerplate claiming "No part of this book may be
used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever ... " it can't apply to content that is not subject to
the 1987 copyright.  (It happens that the scene I was looking for, and the dialog that goes with
it, "... ignore the man behind the curtain," is specific to the motion picture, so I didn't find
what I was looking for.)

There is no way of knowing, without further information, what the copyright status of the bilingual
plaintext is, what the rules are in the jurisdiction where that was produced/is-used, and whether
or not the illustrations being added are subject to someone's copyright.