Ian Whitfield wrote via personal mail:
*Hi Andreas*

Thanks for your reply!! Appreciated - although I don't "like" the answer!!

I thought to ask you this rather 'off-list' in case.

You say I must use a "Real Database Connection" if I want to work with this
bastard!! By "Bastard" I guess you mean HSQLDB. OK - I'm fine with that. I do
like the front-end of Base and the ease of working with it but am happy to
change the DB Engine. (or anything else but would prefer a WYSIWYG development
screen like Base has)

But my problem is not knowing how to do this!! Or which is the best way to go.
What do you suggest I do and where can I get detailed instructions please?

My Database is _VERY_ important to me and I use it every day and all day. It
contains about 2500+ records of the Members of my Group including two small
photos on each record. Total about 70 fields per record and it is single user -
just me!!

Thanks very much for your kind help.

Hi Ian,
HSQLDB is an excellent, extensible, cross-platform, stable and fast database engine. Base is a set of tools to connect this office suite to databases which is best used when you avoid most of its most flashy and obvious "features". The HSQL database wrapped into the Base document is the "bastard" which deserves to be handled with a maximum of caution.

[Tutorial] Avoiding data loss with built in HSQLDB
http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=83&t=17567
Extracting an embedded HSQLDB manually under Linux:
http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=61&t=46324

I'm sure this helps,
Andreas Säger