Hi :)
Errr, when you have to share files with other people it is best to send them a pdf of the file so
they see the way it should look.
File - "Export as Pdf"
works for me.

Also when you first get a document from someone else it's a good idea to
File - "Save As ... "
and change the format to an OpenDocument Format such as Odt (for a 'text' document as used by
"Writer") or an Ods for spreadsheet (Calc) or an odg for graphics (Draw).

Keep saving your changes to the Odt but when you are ready to send it back to the MS Office users
use "Save As .. " again to make a copy in .Doc  NOT .DocX  I think the format is listed as "MS Word
(97/2000/Xp)".  The DocX introduced in MS Office 2007 and used in 2010 is difficult for most other
people, such as people using older versions of MS Office, so using it forces people into buying the
newer versions of MS Office

Often when Pdfs are used on websites and sometimes even in emails people give a link to the Adobe
website so that the person trying to open the pdf can download and hopefully install Adobe Reader
and they make a fuss about it being free (in cost).

The same could be done with Odts and has sometimes met with success.  At my workplace all the
machines now have LibreOffice installed although people generally keep using MS Word.

One advantage of LibreOffice is that it handles pictures and images more flexibly.  You can anchor
to a page or to a paragraph (so that when the paragraph moves the picture moves with it) or quite a
few other options.  MS Office can only handle some of them.  Also the wrap options allow text to
flow around the image or over the top so that the image is in the background.  Again MS Office only
supports some of the options.  Also in LibreOffice you can move the picture around the document
fairly freely but MS Office often restricts movement to up&down or some other limited option.  So,
at work we use LibreOffice for our Newsletter because there are a lot of pictures in it.

So when sharing with other people
1. try to save documents in the native ODF format, such as Odt but then re-save as Doc to send on
to them and also send them a pdf
2. suggest they install LibreOffice alongside their MS Office in the same way they have Adobe
Reader already.  LibreOffice is tiny and very light-weight.
Regards from
Tom :)