Andreas Säger <villeroy <at> t-online.de> writes:

Am 07.03.2012 22:03, Johnny Rosenberg wrote:

A Tab delimited text file – what more could we want to know?

4 different lines of tab delimited text each with 4 identical values:

2012/03/08    1,213.59        text    7-8
"2012-03-08"  "1,213.59"      "text"  "7-8"
8.März12      01213,59        text    7-8
03/08/2012    $1213.59        "text"  "7-8"
[...] to be continued with dozends of variants

Ahh -- I think the reason behind some of the confusion is becoming clearer... I
want to manipulate *dumb, uninterpreted* text.  So "03/08/2012" would not be the
same thing as "2012-03-08", since both cases would be just a bunch of
meaningless characters, but different meaningless characters.

In this use case, I just want to rearrange columns or split or join columns.
For those times when I want to be able to interpret a date as a date and not
just a bunch of text, opening normally would be fine.

This is not a natural way to work for most spreadsheet users, but it is totally
natural for a subset of us data analysts (who might just want a visual
equivalent of the AWK programming language).

If you google for macros to load csv you will find dozends of ready
made solutions and all of them use a different set of FilterOptions. The
FilterOptions are bundled in a complex string that reflects all the
settings of the import dialog.

http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/DevGuide/OfficeDev/Handling_Documents#MediaDescriptor
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/BASIC_Guide/StarDesktop

http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/DevGuide/Spreadsheets/Filter_Options

That will be totally helpful, and I would not have found it on my own.

Tx