Looks, like you want me to read the code which I was trying to very much avoid.

It is still not clear from the soffice --help or from the various posts that I have combed so far if it is or is not possible to specify a connection string to a headless listening soffice server. I mean, does one have to write a client program (or use a client such as jodconverter) just to be able to specify a connection string to connect to headless soffice server?

I would greatly, /greatly/ appreciate if someone would be kind enough to tell me just this much with an example. This solution introduces a Java dependency (which I would like to avoid as much as possible unless there is really no other alternative).

The DocumentConverter.py flavor that comes with jodconverter is taking so many seconds that I'm doubting if its really using the listening soffice server or spawning a new one. Again, to verify this I'd have to do more testing and look into the source code.

So, please, asking one last time for a simple and direct answer if you can. A pipe example would also be appreciated.

In summary, I'd like to know
1) how to use just soffice (i.e., without any other external software like jodconverter, unoconv, etc) to efficiently convert a large number of ms office files to plain text. 2) I'd like to use the headless soffice so that it's not restarted for every input file type, and
3) I'd also like to know how to use both socket and the pipe method.

I wish the soffice --help option came with a simple 1 line examples of each. :-( But if not, then at least on this forum I can get my answers instead of reading the source code of these various tools.