On 02/13/2012 11:40 AM, Dan Lewis wrote:
      Comments inline:

On Mon, 2012-02-13 at 09:04 -0500, webmaster for Kracked Press
Productions wrote:
On 02/12/2012 08:48 PM, Andreas Säger wrote:
Tools>Options>LanguageSettings>Default Language sets the language for
all brand new documents. Brand new documents those documents which are
not derived from some template.
If you use some default template for a component, you've got to open
the template for editing (File>Templates>Edit...) and apply the
language setting together with option "current document only".
This setting affects the "font language" in all text formatting
dialogs having a "Font" tab.

I think right now the problem could be the use of many languages in a
single document and getting the language option menu in the "Spelling
and Grammar" icon/option to have more space for more language listings -
is what is needed.  I added German to my dictionaries and it did not
show up in that specific menu list.  Setting the default language for a
specific paragraph, etc., did show German though.
      I have had a document that contained English, German, and Spanish
in one paragraph. By creating a character style for each language, I was
able to correctly spell check all three languages. Three paragraphs in
three different languages requires one paragraph style for each
language.
Yes, having styles and templates set up for making a new document have a
specific default language may be a good idea, but the basic user would
not know how to do this.  I have been using LO since 3.3.0 and have not
got into creating "styles" or changed my default document, or even
created any new templates.
      I don't mean to sound harsh at all, but if you want LO or OOo to
more than the basics you need to learn how to use styles. Begin with the
Writer chapter in the Getting Started with LO and then graduate to the
Writer Guide.

I thing I might have to buy a printed copy of the Writer book, if I was
to start dealing with all the other things that Writer can do that I
have not been doing so far.  I would rather read a printer book than
read it on my desktop or laptop.  I do not have a tablet.
Lulu.com sells printed copies of the Writer Guide. The direct link:
http://www.lulu.com/product/paperback/libreoffice-3-writer-guide/15593313

--Dan
A lot of people do not download or read the PDF documents.

I am thinking about getting a copy of the 3.3.x printer book one of these days, or maybe the 3.4.x version would be out for Writer by then.

I need to sit down and do some technical reading again.

There ARE a lot of people who use software without reading any documentation and feel that it should be easy and menu/option self explanatory enough to use it without extensive reading. It has been more than 6 months since I really read through the Writer documentation, so I do not remember much of what I read, and the files have been updated now as well for 3.4.x.

My real issue now it the problem with all off the "localized" English and French listing in "Spelling and Grammar" icon / Text-language menu drop down menu. There is one space left for Spanish/Spain and no room to list German or other dictionary. I do not remember so many English [9] and French [6] shown with 3.3.4 or 3.4.3 as I do with 3.4.5. There is just no room in that menu list for any other language [with the default setup] with the 3.4.5 64-bit DEB version of LO. I have to use Ubuntu's Package Manager to remove French or Spanish since they both are locked in the Extension Manager and are unable to be disabled or deleted. I may have to modify the French and English default listings to remove all of these localized listings like "Eire" and "Namibia" English or "Luxenbourg" and "Switzerland" French. For me, these localizations are not needed. "Common" US/UK English, Spanish [Spain], and French [France] is all I would need for the default installed and locked languages.