On 02/05/2012 12:53 PM, Mirosław Zalewski wrote:
On 05/02/2012 at 17:56, webmaster for Kracked Press Productions
<webmaster@krackedpress.com>  wrote:

As for Writer specific, well I have not tried it with Calc.  I did
rename the ".libreoffice" folder to ".libreoffice--old" and opened
Writer up.  Well the first thing I noticed was it did not give me the
"default" first-time use menus to give my name, and such.  That was
different for the last time I renamed the hidden folder.  Actually this
time it did bring up the dialog box.

So it must have been an issue with the ".libreoffice" hidden folder.

The question is why did it not bring up the menus that asked for my
information like a clean install would do.  As I said, the last time I
renamed the folder, I got that set of menus.  It do have to reinstall
all my templates and extensions though.
I understand that renaming ~/.libreoffice folder solved your issue. Is that
correct? I think that you have two ways from now on.

Dan suggest that 3.4.5 does not have that problem, so you may consider
upgrade.

If you want to stay with 3.4.4 for a while, then let's talk about getting your
extensions and templates back ;) .

They are still in your ~/.libreoffice--old folder. You may try to copy them to
your new ~/.libreoffice. Unfortunately, I can not help you to decide which files
you exactly has to copy. Definitely ~/.libreoffice/3/user/extensions and
~/.libreoffice/3/user/template folders, maybe something else too. Just check
names of files, they should give a clue what they are for. By copying files one
by one and running LO after each copy (to see if everything is in place) you
should be able to get you templates and extensions without need to search them
over the net and installing manually.
I just installed them again via the Extension Manager. Then I saved the ".libreoffice" folder with a new name as my back folder for it. I did not want to manually copy anything from the old hidden folder.

Or you can rename you .libreoffice--old back to .libreoffice and remove suspicious
files one by one, until you track which caused your problems. But make sure you
have backup copy of your original ~/.libreoffice in case you delete one file too
much.

As for information dialog, I see two possible explanations.
1. Wikipedia article about LibreOffice states "The first run wizard from
OpenOffice.org that guides a user through the setting of user name and the
registration process has been removed from LibreOffice”. I can confirm this -
running LO on clean user does not bring any dialog about user information.

2. Do you happen to still have old ~/.openoffice.org folder? As far as I
remember, LO run for first time migrates config from ~/.oo.o to ~/.lo folder.
Perhaps it migrates user information as well, which would explain why LO does
not ask for them.

HTH.
No, I do not have any ".openoffice.org" type of folder. I have not used it for almost a year now and I have done a complete wipe/rebuild of this system several times since then.

Where it go the info for "Tools/Options/User Data", I do not know. The last time I did the renaming of the ".libreoffice" folder, I was asked to supply the information in that dialog box. So somewhere it was saved.

Does the "User Data" dialog box come up on a new/clean install for LO .deb install anymore? Does it come up with a Windows install? To be honest, I do not know if having this dialog box pop up during the install is useful or not. I do not fill most of the blanks for the needed information. I tend not to have that info "attached" to the document. I would prefer to give out that info only to those who need it or those I want to have it. There are a lot of people that I do not want to have my full name, address, email, phone [cell, land-line, fax]. I just have as little listed there. Somewhere it is stored besides the ".libreoffice" folder on my Ubuntu system.
Debian has 3.4.5 on its repository now?
Yes, there is 3.4.5 in both testing and unstable. There is also 3.5.0-rc3 in
experimental.

I am not sure what will happen if you try to install Debian packages on your
Ubuntu system, though. It may break some things.

I do not know if my Package manager is showing 3.4.5 as the latest version on the repository, or it is showing it since it is the latest version one the computer. The version numbers for "installed version" and "latest version" is 3.4.5-502, now. I installed 3.4.5 a few minutes ago. I forgot to check if the repository had updated to 3.4.5 while I still had 3.4.4 installed.

To be honest, I tend to download and install the LO website version instead of waiting for the repository version. I sometimes download and install package upgrades if the "official" sites have newer version instead of waiting for the repository to get the update/upgrade. There seems to be more and more packages that are listed in the Ubuntu Software Center as "Canonical does not provide updates for . . . Some updates may be provided by the Ubuntu community." So I have to manually download and install the updates. Ubuntu 10.04's Firefox jumped from 3.x.x to 9.x.x, and this morning to 10.0. Thunderbird, though was at 3.x.x and in April it is no longer supported. I had to manually download and modify the launcher icons to get TB 10.0 to run. Hopefully Ubuntu 10.04 with update/upgrade their repository for the newest Thunderbird, like it did for Firefox. I did not like seeing the "stop supporting" message for the version in the 10.04LTS repository for one of my packages I use every day. If Ubuntu 11.xx did not have Unity on it, but something like GNOME 2.x, I would update my system. I just do not like to deal with my system with a desktop environment that makes it look like a tablet. Actually the first Linux [not Android] tablet was announced to be out in a month or two.