Hi :)
This thread is a good one to 'hijack' for your purpose :)  The link for posting "wish-list" items
or "Feature requests" (whatever you want to call them) is
https://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/bug/
without a dot at the end.  When you post a bug-report one of the drop-downs has "Feature request"
or something similar.

Please let us know which Operating System you are using.  Most including Windows do have individual
icons already but not cluttering up the desktop.  You can add them there.  In Windows Xp click on
the "Start" button then

"All Programs" - LibreOffice ...

Now right-click on Writer and choose

"Send to .." - "Desktop (create shortcut)"

Since you also use Calc it might be good to do the same with that one but since you don't seem to
use the rest you don't need to have them cluttering up desktop 'real-estate'.

Another way of opening files is just to double-click on them, or right-click and then the button
"Open with ...".  LibreOffice should be in the list but only if you have already opened that sort
of file with LibreOffice.  You can choose to always open with this app and that tick-box is already
ticked-by-default in Windows.

Navigation might be easier if you use the "Places" panel on the left-hand-side of the load/save
dialogue box.  It might be possible that you have it set to "Explorer/Tree" instead of "Places".
In most OSes you can, to some extent, set which folders are displayed in there but i am not sure
how to set mount-points in Windows.  Different partitions should be there already tho.

Regards from
Tom :)