Hi :)
I think Base has to be the way forwards.  It is a bit of a steep learning curve but this sort of
project is perfect for it.  Spreadsheets would be really messy and hopelessly complicated and would
never really allow you to play around with the data so freely.  This guide might help
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/Publications#LibreOffice_Base_Guide
Note that the 2nd chapter is a very rough draft and not really meant for the general public yet.

Regards from
Tom :)