Hi John,

Yes, you are correct. That does say PDF, and yes, I have seen that before. All of the printers I use say that, but that does not mean that it is printing in PDF format. Right now I have a HP OfficeJet Pro 8000 inkjet connected to this computer, as well as a Samsung ML 1710 monochrome laser connected. Both of them say language type, when you delve deeply as you did, PDF. From something I read in CUPS or the Open Printing site roughly 2 to 3 weeks ago I had the understanding that the PDF language type is the way the Linux system is communicating through CUPS with the printer, and that has nothing to do with the output type. Without changing that setting at all, all of my LibreOffice documents print perfectly fine with these printers, as well as with an HP 2605 color laser, and a Konica-Minolta 1400w page pro monochrome laser. I never touch the printer language setting in that box.

Don