On 17/01/12 16:38, Tom Davies wrote:
Hi :)
It's not great to be faced with these challenges and questions and no answers when people first write in to the list. It's scary. Sadly i don't think there was a way around it this time. Perhaps John has installed on a lower spec than is really needed for Ubuntu. Ubuntu really needs 15Gb hard-drive, 1GHz Cpu and 1Gb Ram. It can run in less, far less if you are an expert and do a special install but for a default and usable system it really takes about that much. Lubuntu is better on lower spec than that or Xubuntu if you are close. If one thing is lower but the rest higher then you can get away with it with Ubuntu but as a rule-of-thumb it's fairly accurate.
When i was on the Ubuntu forums i often found that people had installed the Server Edition thinking it
would be like the desktop but more powerful.  Another common issue would be that people had been told the
the min.spec. for installing Ubuntu was barely usable by highly experienced Gnu&Linux experts who could
swap-out bits&bobs and do a very non-standard install.  Another common problem was people installing
inside Windows using the Wubi installer and often again with far too little space.  I made myself fairly
unpopular by suggesting that the official min.spec. should be plenty for a usable system for a total noob,
ie about 15 Gb hard-drive space, not 2Gb (or whatever ridiculous claim was made).  For at least 1Gb Ram and
1GHz Cpu rather than 256Mb Ram which is plausible only if the architecture happens to be far better than is
likely.  Almost every product makes ridiculous claims and something i initially liked about Ubuntu was that
it didn't but
then the year after they suddenly copied the boasting style of the rest of the corporate world.
It's also possible that John Black is not subscribed and therefore not seeing these replies
Regards from
Tom :)