Hi Mike,

Mike Watson wrote (22-12-11 02:08)

I am considering downloading your product to avoid having to buy
Microsoft Office.

Looks as a good idea to me :-)

But I have a question about your product.  On your
Features page you said that the LGPL public license could be hacked
by the user.
What does that mean?  Does it mean that anyone can hack
it?

It means that each and every person having skills in the area of software developing, is able to modify the code and adapt the software... *however* this only on the machine he/she has access to. The software that is offered for download to you and others, can not be altered by random persons. You and everyone else can send in code-contributions - in fact that is a highly encouraged and appreciated form of contributing and key to open source - but contributions are submitted to the source after review only. And of course by people that have received contribute-rights because of their work.

So ... 'hacking' in this sense is not related to what is actually 'cracking' - breaking in software/computers, which lately also is pointed to as hacking.

Please reply whenever you can. Thank you for your time.

You're welcome!
Thanks for asking and I hope my explanation is clear enough. If not please write. And I think that it's good also that we have a look at our website, in order to prevent future misunderstanding.

Regards,
Cor

PS - have added you as cc since you're not subscribed to the list or Gmane for this list.

--
 - Cor
 - http://nl.libreoffice.org