Hi :)
Ouch sorry for double-posting and nothing hugely useful in either.

Base is better when the back-end is separate from the front-end.  Base is a great front-end.  There
are a lot of choices for back-ends and i have no idea which is best for a simple small database.
SqlLite, HSql(db?) or something?

A new guide to Base is being written but it's slow going.  The 1st chapter is available at
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/Publications#LibreOffice_Base_Guide
There is a tutorial just under it on that page.

Base can use an embedded back-end just like Access does but it's not as good that way apparently.
I think the back-end is basically the table and perhaps the relationships between tables but i'm
not completely clear yet.  I think the front-end is the gui, queries, forms, reports and all that.
Somehow i doubt it's quite that straight-forwards!

Getting forms and reports from Access to Base is not easy.  I think you basically have to re-write
them.  I'm guessing/hoping that Queries can possibly be exported as Sql statements and then
imported and tweaked.  Access doesn't follow Sql standards in it's implementation so it might be
easier to just re-create them too.

I have been wondering about trying to access works simple but messy database through Base and just
set-up queries and stuff that are less problematic so that we all write to the same data-source.  I
have a feeling that it might be easier to move the data to a new back-end and then get Access to
read that rather than to use it's embedded back-end.

So, this thread has been interesting and good to see.
Regards from
Tom :)