2011/12/3 Jay Lozier <jslozier@gmail.com>:
On 12/03/2011 12:50 PM, Johnny Rosenberg wrote:

2011/12/3 Pedro<pedlino@gmail.com>:

Johnny Rosenberg wrote

Depending on the value in other cells, the result can be a time or an
empty string (""). In this case, E9 is an empty string, so E10 becomes
”#VALUE!”, and in fact every cell below E10 is also ”#VALUE!” because
of this.

Can you provide an example file? This used to be a problem but it is
fixed
in 3.4.4 (at least under Windows)

I could, but it's not needed, I think. I just did this simple test in
3.3.4 and 3.4.4:

Open LibreOffice Calc from scratch.

A1:
=""

A2:
=A1+1

In LibreOffice 3.3.4 (Ubuntu 10.10), A2 displays:
1

In 3.4.4 (Ubuntu 11.10), OOO340m1 (Build:402), A2 displays:
#VALUE!

Try in A1 no data/empty cell and in A2 =A1+1, you will get 1 in A2.

Well, I know that, of course. And that's not a part of the problem.
The problem occurs when a cell is set to an empty string. Older
versions considered the value empty strings to be 0, which was very
elegant. That feature now seems to be gone.

You are
adding a text and number and the + operator is not used for concatenation.

Very good, because concatenation is not what I want in this case.

This has to do with operator overloading, are other, similar, operations
allowed when using '+'. Some may allow it and others may not, restricting
its use to mathematical operations only. LO uses the '&' operator for
concatenation.

Which I use all the time when I want concatenation, which I don't in this case.

If you use A1 = "" and A2 = A1 & 1 you get 1.

Yes, but if A1=75, I get 751 and not 76, so that's not the ultimate
workaround in this case.

The point is that ALL of the cells in a certain column contains a
formula that, depending of other cells, give either an empty string as
result, or a numerical value.

Let's create another example:
Let's use A1 for manual input.
In A2, enter:
=IF(A1="";"";A1)
In A3, enter:
=A2+27

If you enter a number in A1, A3 displays that number+27. If you don't,
A3 displays an error message: ”#VALUE!” (I guess; I didn't test this
particular example…). I want it to display 27.

Thanks anyway for trying to help. :)

Kind regards

Johnny Rosenberg
ジョニー・ローゼンバーグ