The big reason to use LibreOffice 3.4.4 over OpenOffice.org 3.3.0 is that LO reads/writes ".docx" files better that OOo's offering. It had come a long way from its OOo roots about a year ago.

So LO 3.4.4 should be looked at as the better product.

That is the real reason to try LO now.

As for an "older person" dealing with this question, well try it. As an older person myself, I have switched and I like it.