Hi :)
It wasn't that bad.  Also although OpenOffice seems to be fading away right now t6hat could be just
a temporary phase.

Oracle are in the process of giving OpenOffice to the Apache Foundation at the urging of IBM
apparently.  When Apache take on a project they have a process to convert it to their style of
working.  OOo is quite different from most of their projects so it's taking a lot to re-organise
it.  Once they do get going they are likely to get code dumps from IBM to give them a bit of a
boost.

About a decade ago, when OpenOffice first forked from Star Office there was a plan to eventually
move it into an independent Foundation.  Somehow a decade slipped by with OOo staying under Sun's
management.  When Oracle took over Sun's assets it seemed a good time to implement the plan that
had been developed during the decade.  Oracle didn't seem keen to develop OOo anyway, at least not
until after The Document Foundation had been up-and-running for a while.  That was about when
Oracle seemed to start getting a bit petulant and childish imo.  Then a few months later we had the
race to get the 3.4.0 out and TDF won by miles purely because there is so much momentum behind LO
and a great team of devs and more.

LibreOffice continues to be a "drop-in replacement" for OpenOffice and OpenOffice is not dead.
It's just "resting" (well actually working quite hard in a 'behind the scenes way').  So, it's ok
to stick with OpenOffice for now and change over later if you want.  Both use the same formats as
do quite a number of other programs.

Just to completely contradict that i would recommend moving to LO but only because i think it's
prettier and nicer and does more and has a vitality and excitement about it.  So, its a personal
recommendation based on aesthetics more than practicalities really.

It is possible to have both on a single system but they are too similar so it's not trivial.  This
guide can help if you fancy trying that
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Installing_in_parallel
It is really designed for multiple copies of LibreOffice but a bit of imagination can twist it
around a bit :)

Again it's not really important to do that just as it's not important to change to LibreOffice just
yet if you don't want to.

Regards from
Tom :)