It makes perfect sense that OOo and LO could be installed side by side and also run at the same
time.

The problem is that they all lay claim to the same program names, library names, and probably
registry settings.

(The use of the same program names is why Windows, for example, can't have Open With ... for both
LO, and OOo on the association of programs with file extensions, such as .odt and .ods.  (But one
can
add Open With ... Microsoft Word, WinZip, etc.  Different versions of the same product are harder
for Windows to distinguish with Open With ..., absent some creative work on the part of the
producers of those product versions.)

Now that there are different lineages progressing from a common OO.o 3.2-or-so base, there needs to
be a way to avoid collisions with parallel efforts and the common past versions.

For users, all of their choices should work.  Running a portable version should work.  Having user
accounts with different versions should work, etc.  I suspect that these cases have simply not been
dealt with systematically, although clearly there has been some attention to it. And if it is by
design to not all concurrent operation, I would expect gentle handling when an user violates that
constraint.

(I have no recommendation on what installs are on top of what previous versions of the same
product. It may be a little too course-grained that any LO 3.y will replace any LO 3.x where x < y,
although that is a second-order problem.  It is good that LO 3.y does not replace OOo 3.x, and vice
versa.)

 - Dennis