Hi :)
I think people get confused about the difference between updates and
upgrades.  I think of updates as being things that get added to an existing
install.  Whereas an upgrade is a new version that tends to be better as a
fresh install and tends to take over from the old version.  It's a very
blurry line tho.

In Ubuntu 10.04 and 10.10 LibreOffice is not in the official Ubuntu repos
but is in a ppa (or few).  PPAs seem to be small repositories that are
maintained by individuals or relatively small communities.  I'm not sure who
maintains the LibreOffice ppa but it is up to them when they push through a
newer version of LibreOffice.  I have a feeling that the LibreOffice ppa is
quite a reasonably well sized community and is probably the people that
looked after OpenOffice/Go-OO in the official Ubuntu repos and the same
people that look after LO in the 11.04 and 11.10 official repos.  It's
tricky because there is a lot of overlap between the different communities
but i think the ppa is not official recognised or maintained by The Document
Foundation.

Regards from
Tom :)