Crap. My message didn't format correctly, which makes it virtually
indecipherable given the context. Let me take another crack at this and
try to explain it more clearly.

Here's my problem. Let's assume this is a paragraph in a contract:

3. Responsibilities of the Parties

A. The parties agree that each has rights and responsibilities that arise
from this agreement. Specific responsibilities include the following:

i. Responsibilities of the Firm. The Firm will be responsible for:

a. Providing the legal services set forth in this agreement in a
competent, zealous manner;

b. Keeping Client informed of progress and developments in the case;

c. Explaining applicable procedural actions, legal theories, and the
consequences of various courses of action as necessary to help Client
make informed choices;

d. Providing replies to communications and answers to Client?s questions
within a reasonable time;

e. Maintaining appropriate confidentiality of materials;

f. Complying with recognized ethical standards (?Michigan Rules of
Professional Conduct?, ?MRPC?) in dealing with Client, other attorneys
who may participate in issues arising from the case, prosecutors,
co-defendants, the courts, and staff; and

g. Assigning some or all of the work involved in this matter to other
professionals under the supervision of attorneys employed by the Firm,
including but not limited to paralegals, associate attorneys, and
student interns. Any work done by an attorney assigned to represent
client in any matter?regardless of whether that attorney is a regular
employee of the Firm or not?will be billed to Client at the standard
rates described herein, unless otherwise agreed in advance by Client.

I might want to insert a cross-reference to (for example), Paragraph
3(A)(i)(g), with a sentence that might read "Client will have the
opportunity to speak in advance to any person who will be assigned work
on his case, as described in Paragraph 3.A.i.g, to the extent that this
is reasonable."

However,  there's always a trailing period when you enter the
crossreference, so the sentence would end up reading "Client will have
the opportunity to speak in advance to any person who will be assigned
work on his case, as described in Paragraph 3.A.i.g., to the extent that
this is reasonable."

Note the period at the end of the reference in the second example, which
is improper.

Is there any way to get rid of that trailing period?

- --
Steven Shelton