I have been working on drafting some contracts, and recently discovered
the ability to insert a cross-reference to a specific line when a
paragraph is designated a "numbered list". This is huge for me, because
a large part of my time is spent proofing and correcting documents that
reference a specific provision when I add or remove a line somewhere in
the contract, thus changing the numbering.

However, there's a formatting issue that I haven't been able to resolve.

Let's say this is a paragraph in the contract:

Responsibilities of the Parties

The parties agree that each has rights and responsibilities that arise
from this agreement. Specific responsibilities include the following:

Responsibilities of the Firm. The Firm will be responsible for:

Providing the legal services set forth in this agreement in a
competent, zealous manner;

Keeping Client informed of progress and developments in the case;

Explaining applicable procedural actions, legal theories, and the
consequences of various courses of action as necessary to help Client
make informed choices;

Providing replies to communications and answers to Client?s questions
within a reasonable time;

Maintaining appropriate confidentiality of materials;

Complying with recognized ethical standards (?Michigan Rules of
Professional Conduct?, ?MRPC?) in dealing with Client, other attorneys
who may participate in issues arising from the case, prosecutors,
co-defendants, the courts, and staff; and

Assigning some or all of the work involved in this matter to other
professionals under the supervision of attorneys employed by the Firm,
including but not limited to paralegals, associate attorneys, and
student interns. Any work done by an attorney assigned to represent
client in any matter?regardless of whether that attorney is a regular
employee of the Firm or not?will be billed to Client at the standard
rates described herein, unless otherwise agreed in advance by Client.

I can insert a cross-reference to (for example), Paragraph 3(A)(i)(g),
but instead of subparagraphs being designated by parentheses, they are
designated by periods. I can live with that, and I understand why it's
done that way from a programming point of view . . . but there's always
a trailing period, and there never should be. For instance, the
reference to Paragraph 3(A)(i)(g) will print as "Paragraph 3.A.i.g."
when it should print as "Paragraph 3.A.i.g" in the sentence (note the
period at the end of the first example, and the lack thereof in the
second example).

Is there any way to get rid of that trailing period?

Or, is this something I should report as a bug and hope it gets fixed
(maybe something like "subparagraph dividers should be inserted before
the new subparagraph number, not after the main paragraph number")?

- --
Steven Shelton